Friday, August 19, 2011

Antagonist


The marlin Santiago struggled with was strong and just as determined as the old man. The whole time he was hooked he fought, swimming away from what he seemed to understand, was his death. "He is wonderful and strange and who knows how old he is, he thought. Never have I had such a strong fish nor one who acted so strangely" His strength is what kept him alive so long, the marlin continued swimming after he was caught, pulling the skiff behind him. "You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother. Come on and kill me. I do not care who kills who." For two days and two nights the marlin fought as hard as he could to stay alive. Even though in the end the marlin ends up dead Santiago feels that no one is worthy of eating the marlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment